After going to the 'on the move' exhibition, I realized that I was fascinated by the ancient objects that were used to create the illusion of motion. I realized then that I really wanted to recreate a beautiful object and relate it to my theme of surveillance and projection. After doing some research on the way the eye works as an organ, I noticed that the way it works is similar to the Camera obscura. The Camera obscura has been used since the 15Th century by artists like an early projector to draw landscape and objects Throughout the years it was developed from large devices to portable ones, but I am particularly interested in the large room sized ones. I am currently working on a proposal.
In this image, one can see that the image the eye sees is inverted in the eye and then inverted in the right position by the brain.




Source: John H. Hammond, The Camera obscura: A chronicle, Bristol : Adam Hilger Ltd, 1981.
The Camera obscura, used as a spying apparel.



No comments:
Post a Comment